Thursday, April 28, 2011

Channel surfing 4/28


 8:00 -I start my television viewing at 8pm starting with The Office, not sports related I know but it is what I’m watching so deal with it.  This also means I missed most of the first half of Lakers/Hornets and the entire first half of Orlando/Atlanta.  Also the first 10 picks of the NFL draft, so really not missing much in my opinion. I’m also watching Preds/Nucks so that is what matters to me at least, and I can’t watch Magic/Hawks anyway.

8:30- I’ve been watching The Office for the most part and checking in on hockey and the draft for the most part.  Nice to see JJ Watt go to Houston, meaning he doesn’t have to play for the Vikings.  Minnie takes Ponder, big time reach and Detroit takes Fairley, pretty good DT combo for the future.  The guys down the hall are way too excited for this draft, unless they’re playing a drinking game.  2 huge mistakes have been made, Nate Solder and Tyron Smith.  Any tackle taken before Gabe Carimi is just a mistake.

9:00- The Office is over and was a decent but not great episode.  Since the hockey game is scoreless and in between periods I have no choice but to flip between Lakers/Hornets and the Draft. The Chargers take a DE from Illinois.  I’m sorry but there were 2 other DEs in the Big Ten alone that were on the board that are better than that guy.  After 3 quarters the Lakers are up 69-57 on the Hornets. CP3 will need to go off for NO to make a comeback. Meanwhile on NBA TV it’s a 3-point game. Yeah ESPN really couldn’t afford to not show a 30 for 30 right now instead of that game.  I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again all NBA playoff games should be on national TV.  Coming up I’ll be writing an article on how the NBA can be improved and trust me that will be in there.  Atlanta beats Orlando and moves on to face Chicago.  Man how far has Orlando fallen over the past 2 years? From the finals to being knocked out in the first round to a team that just doesn’t try some nights.  It’s too bad because I love watching Dwight Howard play, but I do like the Hawks well rounded crunch time 5. One of those teams that have multiple options but they lack heart and Chicago has no trouble with that, it should be a quick series.

9:10-LA is crushing NO but fortunately hockey is back on.  Thank goodness because I have little interest in the draft.  As I stated in my last post I don’t like the airtime the draft gets when were in the throws of 2 all-time great playoffs in the NBA and NHL.  Pekka Rinne is being The Man for Nashville right now. Probably the most underrated goalie in the NHL.  To the draft, how did Da’Quan Bowers fall this far? He’s the best pass rusher in the draft.  NEWSFLASH, Peyton Hillis loves Jesus, good for him.  SUN DROP AD!!!!! Bottled in Sauk Prairie at the Celo bottling company.  In the NHL Nashville needs to start lighting these guys up, and just as I say that Vancouver scores and lead 1-0.

9:30-The Lakers continue to pound NO, just waiting for Dallas/Portland at this point on that front. Nashville goes on the PP and things are shaping up well for the Packers in the draft.  With the win the Lake show moves on, expected they are a very talent team, understatement, and I would love to see them face Dallas for the first time in the playoffs.  Nashville fails to convert on the PP.

9:45-Best TV viewing of the night so far. Nash/Van and Dal/Port on at the same time but then we head to intermission #2 with Vancouver up 1-0. So Dallas/Portland it is with occasional looks at the draft.  Evenflow is playing over the air at the draft, awesome.  Dallas just looks awful right now.  You know what is not awful, Dallas’ plus/minus in crunch time.  They have the top 4 players in all the NBA in crunch time plus/minus.  This is mind boggling to me.  I just don’t get it but I guess it explains how they ended up with the 3 seed.  I’m starting to get juiced for the Packers’ pick in the draft mostly because Gabe Carimi is continuing to fall and if the Pack pick him up it would be epic.

10:00- Dallas made a mini-run but still looks pretty bad tonight they trail 27-19 after the first quarter.  In the 3rd period Nashville looks about as bad as Dallas and trail 1-0 with Vancouver going on the power play.  At the draft things continue to look good for the Packers, Baltimore didn’t get their pick in on time so still waiting on that.  Nashville had an opportunity for a shorty but couldn’t put it away but might have bothered Bobby-Lu just enough on the follow through. Dallas still looks like garbage and with only 4 picks left until the Packers are up my hopes might be getting just a little too high for some magic.

10:15- OK the night basically hangs on this next pick in the draft. The Bears top need is O-line and Gabe Carimi is still on the board if he goes there I’ll be really quite sad. I really hope they screw this up.  Nashville continues to struggle but is hanging in there down only 1. While I was tuned out Dallas made a charge and is only down 35-29 with 8 minutes left in the half.  And the worst just happened, the Bears took Carimi.  The Bears still suck.  And with the ensuing picks the Packers went from looking great to not having many options left. Whatever, they’re world champs.

10:30 – Darn NFL draft grabbing my attention! Dallas mad a monster run and leads 41-37 with 4 minutes left in the half.  Preds still down 1 late in that one.  I’ll go to that soon but the Packers are on the clock. If the Packers just let time run out, can New England make their pick? I mean it is only supposed to be the first round tonight, intriguing.  20.5 seconds left in Vancouver and Weber can’t make magic again.  A loss on the road in game one is not awful, they’ll have better nights offensively and defensively. At the draft the packers pick Derek Sherrod an OT from Mississippi St. This makes that Bears pick all that much more disappointing. Either way he’ll look to play on the right side if Bulaga beats out Clifton.  Otherwise he’ll just be a solid developmental back up.  How did Da’quan Bowers fall from 1 overall to out of the first round? Whoever picks him up will be in luck. Overall thoughts on the first round: Cam Newton is #1 and that’s OK, JJ Watt and Gabe Carimi of the Badgers both got picked, JJ higher than most probably thought and Gabe lower than most and to the Bears.  I’m comfortable wit the Packers pick. Why? Because they’re world champs that’s why.  They also have players coming back off injury, which could make them even better. Super Bowl XLVI or bust.

10:45 - Now that the draft is over and the hockey game is also over time to concentrate on basketball right, wrong. The game is at half with Dallas leading Portland 52-43. You know what that means. That’s right everyone’s favorite a running diary of the 2nd half! I’m going to do that as a separate post so look out for that.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment