Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A look at the NBA finals

So I got a chance to watch most of game 1 last night and basically that game reinforced all my thoughts about the series which are as follows.  When it comes to this series my heart says Mavs but my head says Heat.  It is not that I hate the Heat.  I like the Heat, I like LeBron.  I just like Dirk so much more.  I've been a huge Dirk fan since 7th grade and would love to see him win a title.  I love guys who generally play below the rim because I play below the rim.  While it is all but impossible for me to be a reasonable facsimile of what Dirk does, it is impossible for me to do what LeBron does.  That endears me to Dirk and makes me in complete and total awe of LeBron.  I do want Dirk to get a title but I wouldn't be that upset if Miami won, because I also want to see LeBron succeed.  At the end of the day I don't really know what level Dirk elevates to with one title.  I think he's around top 25 all-time already and he will really only pass the Malones and Barkleys of the world.  Jason Kidd might actually elevate more with a title but still won't end up as high as Dirk.  But the history of the NBA shows that Miami will win this title and many titles to come.  With the exception of the 1970's when a myriad teams won just one title one or two teams have dominated each decade.  The Lakers in the 50s, The Celtics in th 60s, skip the 70s, Lakers/Celtics in the 80s, Detroit as a transition into the Bulls dominated 90s (with the Rockets thrown in) and then the Lakers and Spurs dominated the past 12 years winning 9 of the 12 titles with the Heat, Pistons and Big Three Celtics winning the other three.  For all intents and purposes the Heat will likely be the dominant team of the next decade with the Bulls and Thunder possibly sneaking in there for a title or two.  Every decade has had really fine, good teams besides the ones that won titles (60s Lakers, 80s Pistons, 90s Jazz, 00s Nets) but it is winning the finals and even more so winning multiple titles that separates very good teams from great teams.  I think the Heat are a great team.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment